The RDBS research programme reflects the values and vision of our University. We aim to become an enterprising, international university that provides transformational opportunities for individuals, communities and businesses, through diversity, partnership and excellence in teaching and research.
In recent years RDBS has created a thriving research environment that contributes to:
- original thinking and the creation, growth and dissemination of knowledge.
- the body of knowledge that underpins learning and teaching and ensures that students receive an adequate academic challenge
- the development of innovative offerings which, in turn, help the development of external communities, organisations and other bodies.
In realising these aims, RDBS has established itself as a key player in the development of critically oriented research that contributes to a broadening and deepening of the field. This has been achieved by extending the boundaries of this area of study to embrace theoretically informed approaches from other disciplines.
RDBS has sought to apply these theoretically informed approaches, particularly in Europe, Asia and Africa, by integrating them with rigorous empirical work. This has enabled us to increase collaboration with other institutions, communities, organisations and bodies.
- Dr Chau Duong published “How value–glamour investors use financial information: UK evidence of investors’ confirmation bias.” (co-authored with Gioia Pescetto, and Daniel Santamaria.) in The European Journal of Finance
- Dr Jossandra Maharaj published “Financial Integration in a Sub-Saharan Country, Financial Sector Reform Through Rational Institution Evolution: A Case Study of Nigera” in Applied Economics Quarterly
- Dr Petra Glover published “Michael Palin’s Himalaya: Potential Impace of Television Travel Diaries on Destination Image”, Tourism Review International, vol. 16, no. 2
- Dr ‘Tunji Gbadamosi co-authored “Entrepreneurship Among Immigrant Africans in the UK: The Myths of Informal and Illegal Enterprises” with S. Ojo and S. Nwankwo, published in Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, vol. 25, no. 7-8
- Dr Gbadamosi also co-authored “’Launching’ A New Nation: The Unfolding Brand of South Sudan” with P. Harengel, published in the Journal of Branding and Public Diplomacy
- Dr Gbadamosi published “Consumer involvement and marketing in Africa: Some directions for future research”, International Journal of Consumer Studies, no. 37
- Dr Gbadamosi co-authored “Impact of Management Structure on Development Programmes: Lessons from Social Marketing of Family Planning in Pakistan” with N. Samad, published in Social Marketing Quarterly, vol. 19, no. 1
- Dr Paolo Taticchi co-edited “Corporate Sustainability Series: CSR, Sustainability, Ethics & Governance” with P. Carbone, University of Perugia and V. Albino, Polytechnic University of Bari
- Dr Jennifer Otter Bickerdike was recently interviewed for a documentary on BBC about 30 years of the David Bowie album 'Let's Dance.'
- Dr Otter Bickerdike also did an exhibition/conference with Shepard Fairey in San Francisco about music culture, memory and nostalgia.
- Dr Paolo Taticchi was a keynote speaker at the GreenIT Workshop organised by the University of Utara, Malaysia
- Dr Sean Dodd gave a keynote speech on project management and the implementation of strategy through successful projects to the iCRET 2013 Conference
- Dr Chau Duong presented a paper on corporate investment to the British Accounting and Finance Association Annual Conference in Newcastle
- Dr Duong also presented a paper on earnings management at the Staff Research Seminar, organised by Portsmouth Business School
- Dr Andres Coca-Stefaniak presented “Managing the sustainability of events and festivals - Towards a European classification model” with K Bathgate, at the Adventure Conference, hosted on Skye
- Dr ‘Tunji Gbadamosi presented “The Paradox of Entrepreneurship Marketing Engaging with Pentecostalism: The Case of Black African Women in Lonon (UK) in Obuah, E. (ed.) ‘Integrating African Markets and Economies in a changing Global Economy: Issues, Challenges and Opportunities’” to the IAABD Conference in Gimpa, Accra, Ghana
- Dr Stefan Lutz made a presentation at the EISAM Workshop on Intangibles, hosted at the Copenhagen Business School. The subject was “R&D, IP, and firm profits in the automotive supplier industry.”
- Dr Tat-lung (Ron) Chan presented a paper on “An RBF scheme for option pricing in exponential Levy models” at the Mathematical and Computational Finance conference at the University of Uppsala
- Dr Chau Duong and Dr ‘Tunji Gbadamosi both received grants under the UEL Undergraduate Internship scheme to hire an undergraduate student to assist with work on their projects.
- Dr Chau Duong was awarded the UEL Early Career Researcher Acceleration Grant to hire a research assistant for one of his projects.
- Mostert, A. and Shaikh, A (2012) Enterprise as a Career Choice: A Multi-National Study. Chapter in Enterprise Development in SMEs and Entrepreneurial Firms: Dynamic Processes, edited by Nelson Oly Ndubisi and Sonny Nwankwo.
- Mostert, A. and Bathgate, I. From Policy to Practice: Minimising the Lead Time (BA Hons Entrepreneurship at Royal Docks Business School University of East London. Paper presented in Madrid at EFMD 2013 Conference: Empowerment of Entrepreneurs for Growth.
- Bathgate, I; Mostert, A and Sandland, S. Learning Styles and Team Roles – Lessons for Gregorc Based Teams for Effective Enterprise Development. Paper presented (Sandland, S) in Lisbon at EN-TENP2013: Enabling Teachers for Entrepreneurship Education.
- Shaikh, A., Sidiq, M., Mostert, A. and Arifeen, N. (2013) Integrating Entrepreneurship into the Teaching of IT. 1St International Confer-ence on Information and Communication Technology Trends. Kara-chi, Pakistan.
- Isle, T. and Rahmantalab, M. (2013) Towards a Zero- Carbon Foot-print Sustainable Backpackers: From Terra Khaya to Cortijo Rio Chico. Presentation at the Tourism and Management Studies Confer-ence, Olhão (Portugal). 14thNovember 2013
- Kaschula,R. and Mostert, A. From Linguistic Determinism to Technological Determinism – Lessons from Sapir-Whorf. Forthcoming Encyclopaedia of Information Science and Technology, 3rd Edition